Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Book Review: Growing Your Faith by Jerry Bridges


I just got finished reading the book Growing Your Faith by Jerry Bridges. I had not read any of his previous works, but when I picked this title up to look at it, it really grabbed my attention and I'm glad it did. He took chapters from his previous books, put some newer material with it, and had a ready-made handbook for spiritual growth. I look forward to reading some of his other works such as, The Pursuit of Holiness.
This work concentrates on spiritual growth in practical ways but his focus is always on the foundation of growth, that is, grace. We are to strive for growth but unless the Lord gives the increase we labor in vain. We have to rely on His grace to give us the righteousness of Christ, but also work in us with the power of Christ. In all of our striving we must rest on Christ's grace to us.
I love the way he encourages the believer to grow in Christ and to rely on Christ to give growth. I really liked his definition of grace: "God's favor through Christ to people who deserve His disfavor." I also really liked what he had to day about dependence: "We are dependent upon the righteousness of Christ for our acceptance with God, and we are dependent on the power of Christ for our ability to pursue spiritual growth."
I recommend this book to all believers both old and new. It is definitely refreshing to those of us who have been Christians for a long time and it would be a great start for new believers.
God bless and happy reading.

No comments: