Friday, January 16, 2009

The DJBRP Jan 5th

The reading for Jan 5th was Matthew 3:1-12, Acts 3, Psalm 5, and Genesis 12-14.

The passage from Matthew covers the beginning of John the baptist's ministry. This is a very interesting passage to me. It describes John's message as a warning, "repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand", "who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?", "even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees", "but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." John's message about Jesus is a one of judgement. How do we reconcile John's message with Jesus' ministry?

The passage from Acts covers Peter healing the beggar at the temple and his sermon to the people gathered there. Peter says about the healing, "And his name-by faith in his name-has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus has given this man perfect health in the presence of you all." The man who was healed had faith in Jesus, but not only faith in Jesus, but faith through Jesus. The power of Jesus not only healed him, but also gave him the faith to be healed. Isn't God good?

I wish I could pray like David. He had such confidence when he prayed that God would hear him and meet his ,whatever they might have been, and he was living under the law! How I want to learn to say with David, "Give ear to my words, O Lord; consider my groaning. Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you do I pray."

The passage from Genesis covers some of Abraham's journey. God's promises to Abraham are incredible. In verses 2 and 3 of chapter 12 he says, "And I will make you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed." In verse 16 of chapter 13 he says, "I will make your offspring as the dust of the earth, so that if one can count the dust of the earth, your offspring also can be counted." I think Abraham might be a post-millenial if he were alive today :-) When I read these promises, I can't help but think of the passage in Revelation where John is shown a multitude that no on can number (Rev 7:9-12). That scene is God's promises to Abraham ultimately fulfilled.

No comments: